Tue, Sep 06|
Grant Park, Atlanta
Grant Park Shelter
This shelter is the only one in Georgia that accepts any family composition. It's the smallest physical building out of all our programs and is currently the one where we have the most children!
Time & Location
Sep 06, 2022, 6:40 PM – 8:20 PM
Grant Park, Atlanta
About the event
You will receive a detailed email a few days before your assignment that includes the address. Please ensure to read it thoroughly. In the meantime...
Forms to complete before volunteering:
- In the volunteer portal, read the section titled, "Volunteer Manual & Points to Keep in Mind When Volunteering"
- Read and sign the "Child Protection Clause" in the volunteer portal
- Watch this 15-minute sensitivity training video
By volunteering with us, you are acknowledging that you have read these documents, watched the video, and will abide by the guidelines described. You understand you may be removed as a participant if you violate any of these guidelines.
You must refer to your program lead at the time you volunteer to hear the specific COVID restrictions put in place by your program's location
After the shelter, we have a 10-15 minute recap in the parking lot. This greatly helps us improve our programming for the better. Thank you for participating!
1. Drawchange uses art to help the children cope with their daily stresses. Art is only the vehicle.
1A. Since art is only the vehicle, the end product isn't important. It's the journey that matters-as cliché as that sounds :)
2. Please help me with discipline. The children are cooped up in their rooms ALL day (other than school) and this is the only time "out" that they've had many of times so be understanding and try to love them through their rowdiness.
2A. Because of this, they will try to push their limits. Your assistance in helping me manage them will be much appreciated!
3. Have fun! They can tell when you're stressed.
Please do not take any photos of the children’s faces. I’d love for you to post about your experience on social media and mention “drawchange at the homeless shelter,” but please do not include the shelter’s name nor children’s faces or names.
At 7:45 pm, we will begin. Please spread yourselves out amongst the children. No two adults should be standing next to each other. We are there FOR the children, and we want to make the most out of our hour. Please limit small talk amongst each other. Thank you!
We want to be sure all our volunteers are dressed comfortably, appropriately, and ready to work with children. Please make sure to always dress appropriately and remember that you are representing drawchange. Do not dress like you are going to the gym right after or like you are attending their summer camp. A good example would be a loose-fitting shirt and jeans or pants-no flip flops. Thank you for cooperating!
Please text our founder/CEO, Jennie Lobato, at 404-402-1567 if you have any problems with directions.
Thank you for volunteering with us!! We are very appreciative of you.