Thu, May 18|
School Catered for Unhoused Children
Their school is catered to the needs of currently or recently unhoused children. We work with the 3rd-grade class.
Time & Location
May 18, 1:25 PM – 3:05 PM
About the event
You will receive a detailed email a few days before your assignment. Please ensure to read it thoroughly. In the meantime...
Forms to complete before volunteering:
- In the volunteer portal, read the section titled, "Volunteer Manual & Points to Keep in Mind When Volunteering"
- Read and sign the "Child Protection Clause" in the volunteer portal
- Watch this 15-minute sensitivity training video
By volunteering with us, you are acknowledging that you have read these documents, watched the video, and will abide by the guidelines described. You understand you may be removed as a participant if you violate any of these guidelines.
After the shelter, we have a 10-15 minute recap in the parking lot. This greatly helps us improve our programming for the better. Thank you for participating!
Please meet there at 1:25 pm and not after-if you arrive late no one will be present to let you inside. IF YOU ARE LATE (AFTER 1:25 pm): You can TRY texting someone that you know is there that day and ask them to come to get you, but it is highly unlikely. Please arrive on time.
Please do not take any photos of the children’s faces. I’d love for you to post about your experience on social media and mention “drawchange at the homeless shelter,” but please don’t include the shelter’s name nor children’s faces or names.
At 2:00 pm, we will begin with the children. Please spread yourselves out amongst the children. No two adults should be standing next to each other. We are there FOR the children, and we want to make the most out of our hour. Please limit small talk amongst each other. Thank you!
1. Drawchange uses art to help the children cope with their daily stresses. Art is only the vehicle.
1A. Since art is only the vehicle, the end product isn't important. It's the journey that matters-as cliché as that sounds :)
2. Please help me with discipline. The children are cooped up in their rooms ALL day (other than school) and this is the only time "out" that they've had many of the times so be understanding and try to love them through their rowdiness.
2A. Because of this, they will try to push their limits. Your assistance in helping me manage them will be much appreciated!
3. Have fun! They can tell when you're stressed.
Thank you for volunteering with us!! We are very appreciative of you.